Gratitude
Thank you.
Sometimes those words seem so over-used and petty, but they really are one of the main ways we express our gratitude toward others. About a week ago I was impressed to write some thank you notes to friends who I am blessed to do life with. We have walked through some hysterical moments, some tearful, some frustrating, a few "I would rather forget moments", and some hard things on this journey of life. How sweet, right? Thank you notes to my friends, what a kind gesture. Sure, until you try to figure out where you're going to carve out the time to write 30 notes in an already packed schedule.
No, I didn't copy the notes. I owned the task and really considered what I have to be thankful for in each of these relationships. 30 notes later I was elated that the Lord had given me this task. I quickly realized that a small thank you note could not contain all that I wanted to communicate. As I thought of each friendship I realized what a gift these families were and how blessed I was to have them in my life. The task became a joy as I began to pen the notes and realize that grace upon grace truly had been poured into my life through these friends.
The old hymn "Count Your Blessings" recounts how choosing gratitude changes us. After this long exercise in thankfulness I can wholeheartedly agree.
When I handed the notes out I received more amazed comments than I anticipated. The most common remark was how thank you notes are a lost art. Most of these friends were shocked that I spent the time to write a thank you to each of them. I hope the sacrifice of time spoke to them of their contribution to my life and how I value them. This exercise of writing it down has made me value them even more. I hope that they keep those notes. I hope those notes serve as a tangible reminder that they do love well, and that their normal everyday life effects others in big ways, sadly we just don't take the time to stop and share.
Would you consider writing a thank you note today? I'm sure it would do your soul well.
Sometimes those words seem so over-used and petty, but they really are one of the main ways we express our gratitude toward others. About a week ago I was impressed to write some thank you notes to friends who I am blessed to do life with. We have walked through some hysterical moments, some tearful, some frustrating, a few "I would rather forget moments", and some hard things on this journey of life. How sweet, right? Thank you notes to my friends, what a kind gesture. Sure, until you try to figure out where you're going to carve out the time to write 30 notes in an already packed schedule.
No, I didn't copy the notes. I owned the task and really considered what I have to be thankful for in each of these relationships. 30 notes later I was elated that the Lord had given me this task. I quickly realized that a small thank you note could not contain all that I wanted to communicate. As I thought of each friendship I realized what a gift these families were and how blessed I was to have them in my life. The task became a joy as I began to pen the notes and realize that grace upon grace truly had been poured into my life through these friends.
The old hymn "Count Your Blessings" recounts how choosing gratitude changes us. After this long exercise in thankfulness I can wholeheartedly agree.
When I handed the notes out I received more amazed comments than I anticipated. The most common remark was how thank you notes are a lost art. Most of these friends were shocked that I spent the time to write a thank you to each of them. I hope the sacrifice of time spoke to them of their contribution to my life and how I value them. This exercise of writing it down has made me value them even more. I hope that they keep those notes. I hope those notes serve as a tangible reminder that they do love well, and that their normal everyday life effects others in big ways, sadly we just don't take the time to stop and share.
Would you consider writing a thank you note today? I'm sure it would do your soul well.