Soils
This weekend I will be teaching on the Parable of the Sower. Thankfully, I've been chewing on this passage for about a month and the Holy Spirit has been graciously granting insights that are wrecking me.
In Mark 4, Jesus opens with "Listen" and then goes on to teach the parable. He then ends with "he who has ears to hear, let him hear." (Mark 4:9) Don't forget that Jesus had also gotten into a boat because the crowd was so numerous. He taught them from the boat. Something tells me that Jesus wants them to hear and listen to what He is saying. So, I have been asking myself the hard question, do I hear? Am I listening? Sure, often I am, but what about those times when I am told something hard, or to do something that will require sacrifice, do I listen then? Or do I simply decide to shut it out?
See, Jesus was teaching this parable to a multitude who were following him for all sorts of reasons that were not in line with why He had come. And yet, knowing their hearts and motives, He still taught them and gave them the opportunity to follow and accept Him for the reasons the Father had sent Him (I John 4:14) He still scattered the seed of the Word of God and presented each listener with the opportunity to ponder and consider these words. We don't know how many stuck around and became disciples of Christ after these parables were taught, but we know that the opportunity was given.
Let's consider the soils that He addresses-wayside, rocky, thorns and weeds and good soil. Did Jesus withhold scattering the seed because the soil was not perfect and prepared? No, He STILL scattered the Word of God. That says something about the value of His Word! See, we don't know if the soil is rocky or hard and compact like that of a wayside, but it is not our judgment call to determine if the Word will be powerful and grow. Often it takes a few people sharing the Gospel with an individual until they come to Christ. Paul addresses this in I Cor 3, when a division had surfaced about how some in the Corinthian church preferred one teacher over another. Paul reminds them that it is ultimately GOD who makes anything grow.
So what does this mean for us? Well, I have to answer that with another question-how important is the Word of God to you? Where is the rocky soil in your life? What about your day-to-day decisions and living, have the cares of this world grown up and choked out the Word and its effectiveness in your life?
What is the answer for all the types of soil? The Word of God. How can you get more of IT everyday?
In Mark 4, Jesus opens with "Listen" and then goes on to teach the parable. He then ends with "he who has ears to hear, let him hear." (Mark 4:9) Don't forget that Jesus had also gotten into a boat because the crowd was so numerous. He taught them from the boat. Something tells me that Jesus wants them to hear and listen to what He is saying. So, I have been asking myself the hard question, do I hear? Am I listening? Sure, often I am, but what about those times when I am told something hard, or to do something that will require sacrifice, do I listen then? Or do I simply decide to shut it out?
See, Jesus was teaching this parable to a multitude who were following him for all sorts of reasons that were not in line with why He had come. And yet, knowing their hearts and motives, He still taught them and gave them the opportunity to follow and accept Him for the reasons the Father had sent Him (I John 4:14) He still scattered the seed of the Word of God and presented each listener with the opportunity to ponder and consider these words. We don't know how many stuck around and became disciples of Christ after these parables were taught, but we know that the opportunity was given.
Let's consider the soils that He addresses-wayside, rocky, thorns and weeds and good soil. Did Jesus withhold scattering the seed because the soil was not perfect and prepared? No, He STILL scattered the Word of God. That says something about the value of His Word! See, we don't know if the soil is rocky or hard and compact like that of a wayside, but it is not our judgment call to determine if the Word will be powerful and grow. Often it takes a few people sharing the Gospel with an individual until they come to Christ. Paul addresses this in I Cor 3, when a division had surfaced about how some in the Corinthian church preferred one teacher over another. Paul reminds them that it is ultimately GOD who makes anything grow.
So what does this mean for us? Well, I have to answer that with another question-how important is the Word of God to you? Where is the rocky soil in your life? What about your day-to-day decisions and living, have the cares of this world grown up and choked out the Word and its effectiveness in your life?
What is the answer for all the types of soil? The Word of God. How can you get more of IT everyday?