His Mercy is More

The last few months have been filled with moments where the Lord shows me just how merciful He truly is.  It first caught my attention as I was working through the next Bible study I'm writing-Elijah and Elisha.  Both of those prophets were sent to the rebellious children of Israel after they had split from he southern 2 tribes of Judah and Benjamin.  The Northern Tribes had NO good kings.  None.  Not a one of them sought the Lord.  And yet God sent them prophets.  Prophets who did crazy things-miraculously provided food for people, raised the dead, challenged false prophets to a showdown and then slaughtered 400 of them.  Undeniably, these were great miracles that should have gotten the attention of the Israelites, but they didn't.  Did Israel deserve to have these prophets declaring the truths of God to them?  Nope.  They had been given the Law, had been instructed to pass that along to their children and walk in the ways of the Lord, but they didn't.  Instead they began serving false gods and not walking in the ways of the Lord. God had been clear with them about expectations and consequences and they chose transgression and false gods.  But instead of just washing His hands of them, what did God do?

He sent prophets.  What mercy.

For years he used Elijah and Elisha to prophesy and to reach out to His chosen people.  Years.  What mercy.

As I've been walking through this study, I've been staring into the mirror of God's Word and it has been forcing me to see how desperate I am for the same mercy shown to the children of Israel.  I think I am better than that, but really I'm not.  I think I am somehow deserving of all the mercy and grace that is poured into my life, but I'm not.

Today it hit me hard.  I'm working as a nurse as a camp this week and had a chance to go into town to run a few errands.  While there I interacted with some rough looking individuals.  Toothless, clearly battered by life, worn-out looking people.  As I was taking in this person before me, trying not to shocked by their appearance I was hammered by the Lord-these people are no different than you, STOP thinking that because you hide your sin better that makes you somehow better!  You are just as desperate for Me and my mercy as this cashier who has clearly been beaten down by life.  His love for me is no different than His love for her.  His mercy extends to both of us.  His blood was shed for each and every one of her sins....and each of mine.

It brought me to tears as I contemplated His abundant mercy while driving back.  I was overwhelmed with a deep understanding of His mercy-constant mercy shown to us.  While I was still a sinner He died for me.  While I was seeking my own desires and ways, He forgave.  He continues to extend mercy daily to me and as I become more and more aware of it I realize how much I need to extend it to others.  No, I am not deserving, and others might not be deserving, but as I have freely received I should freely give.

What riches of kindness He's lavished on us
His blood was the payment, His life was the cost.
We stood 'neath a death we could never afford.
Our sins they are many, His mercy is more.
Praise the Lord,
His mercy is more,
Stronger than darkness,
New every morn,
Our sins they are many, His mercy is more.