Lessons on Obedience
Our obedience is often dependent on our ability to foresee a good outcome for that obedience.
But is that obedience?
2 Cor 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.
One of the best vernacular renderings of Hebrews 11:1 is "Faith is trust without scheming". Trust without back-up plan A, B or C. Yes, that sounds very unresponsible, and many would balk at the thought of living a life of this sort, and yet Scripture is full of men and women who chose to live this way-chose to take God at His Word and obey despite their ability to see a good outcome.
We think that obedience will be easy when it's important. This thought is totally contrary to God's Word. It is in the "small" areas that we cut our teeth and build those faith muscles. Jesus told us that by being faithful in little we could be entrusted with much - Luke 16:10. So where are you lacking in the small areas of obedience?
We obey when we understand the reason why we are being told to obey.
But is that obedience?
Yesterday was a rough day. We're traveling oversees and staying in a guest house run by a church. The city of Budapest is similar to many oversees cities, where it's full of 6-8 story high buildings with retail on the ground level and condos/apartments from the second floor up. We are on the 4th floor and have to traverse a whole lot of stairs every time we need to go somewhere. Who knew that running up and down stairs could be so much fun? Or so noisy? After day #3 of the constant reminder to be quiet on the stairs I sat the kids down and explained to them the testimony that they were bearing for the entire apartment complex. Honestly, I dislike these conversations because they can be perceived as a guilt trip, but that was not the heart behind the discussion yesterday. When they understood that their behavior was casting a shadow on the church that was graciously hosting us their faces fell and they began to feel bad. One of my kids became very concerned with the effects of their loudness on the testimony of the church.
This was such a picture to me, because that is often how my obedience to the Lord is. Once I understand the gravity of disobedience I become more prone to obey. Why won't I simply obey without needing to understand the reason for the obedience? How much damage have I brought to the name of the Lord by my refusal to simply obey and my need to comprehend the request?
Lord, I want to obey because of Who has asked me. I want to obey because You are worthy of "blind faith". I want to obey because I know that You see the end from the beginning and no matter what the outcome here on earth, you can use it to conform me into the image of your Son. I want to obey because You are Lord and I am your bondservant.
Lord, help me to obey.
But is that obedience?
2 Cor 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.
One of the best vernacular renderings of Hebrews 11:1 is "Faith is trust without scheming". Trust without back-up plan A, B or C. Yes, that sounds very unresponsible, and many would balk at the thought of living a life of this sort, and yet Scripture is full of men and women who chose to live this way-chose to take God at His Word and obey despite their ability to see a good outcome.
We think that obedience will be easy when it's important. This thought is totally contrary to God's Word. It is in the "small" areas that we cut our teeth and build those faith muscles. Jesus told us that by being faithful in little we could be entrusted with much - Luke 16:10. So where are you lacking in the small areas of obedience?
We obey when we understand the reason why we are being told to obey.
But is that obedience?
Yesterday was a rough day. We're traveling oversees and staying in a guest house run by a church. The city of Budapest is similar to many oversees cities, where it's full of 6-8 story high buildings with retail on the ground level and condos/apartments from the second floor up. We are on the 4th floor and have to traverse a whole lot of stairs every time we need to go somewhere. Who knew that running up and down stairs could be so much fun? Or so noisy? After day #3 of the constant reminder to be quiet on the stairs I sat the kids down and explained to them the testimony that they were bearing for the entire apartment complex. Honestly, I dislike these conversations because they can be perceived as a guilt trip, but that was not the heart behind the discussion yesterday. When they understood that their behavior was casting a shadow on the church that was graciously hosting us their faces fell and they began to feel bad. One of my kids became very concerned with the effects of their loudness on the testimony of the church.
This was such a picture to me, because that is often how my obedience to the Lord is. Once I understand the gravity of disobedience I become more prone to obey. Why won't I simply obey without needing to understand the reason for the obedience? How much damage have I brought to the name of the Lord by my refusal to simply obey and my need to comprehend the request?
Lord, I want to obey because of Who has asked me. I want to obey because You are worthy of "blind faith". I want to obey because I know that You see the end from the beginning and no matter what the outcome here on earth, you can use it to conform me into the image of your Son. I want to obey because You are Lord and I am your bondservant.
Lord, help me to obey.