Perspective
Three kids and they all have a different outlook on life.
One is a realist, one an optimist and my third, the only girl, just views the world completely differently. Her mind and heart are already in heaven, and sometimes that terrifies me because she talks of Jesus and being with him in an almost prophetic way. She is quicker to pray than my other kids, quicker to encourage me to do so, she serves as a constant reminder that God has set eternity in our hearts. (Ecc 3:11)
Well, for the first time in a few years, we have had an illness run its course through our home. Everyone has suffered. The sound of coughing has become a chorus at times. It's been rough. My youngest, however, has endured the worst of it. After a week of coughing and fever and one failed MD visit-a "viral" picture, we found ourselves in the ER with a visible RML pneumonia on the chest X-ray. Yay for a diagnoses and antibiotics and the hope of healing....until.... more fevers.....3 days of more fevers. Lethargy. Poor appetite. Constant coughing.
I'm done.
What does any of this have to do with perspective? As I am frustrated and annoyed and bothered by these illnesses we have been enduring and no end in sight to K's battle, one day she sees her ER ID band and asks if she can put it on. "I need to have on my healing band, Mommy."
Healing band?
Well, that's a very different way to look at that ID band.
No I didn't correct her. Instead I corrected myself and my attitude.
See, she was associating her ER visit with healing. I was associating it with illness. She looked at that ID band as a point when she began recovering. I looked it as an event we suffered through and had to endure.
And that right there is life. It's the choosing to see something good and right, even if it only that you are drawing nearer to Christ through this trial. It's the choosing to believe the many promises we have in Scripture that are often considered trite sayings while we bask in the sunshine. It's the choosing to know that even in this, He is still a Good Shepherd, and he has not been scared off by the valley or the lion, or the mountainous terrain.
Maybe I'm just jaded and have too many scars to see Him in the midst of it at times. But my girl isn't, and it is a sweet refreshment to hear her classify things in ways I would not.
Thank you for the healing band, Lord.
One is a realist, one an optimist and my third, the only girl, just views the world completely differently. Her mind and heart are already in heaven, and sometimes that terrifies me because she talks of Jesus and being with him in an almost prophetic way. She is quicker to pray than my other kids, quicker to encourage me to do so, she serves as a constant reminder that God has set eternity in our hearts. (Ecc 3:11)
Well, for the first time in a few years, we have had an illness run its course through our home. Everyone has suffered. The sound of coughing has become a chorus at times. It's been rough. My youngest, however, has endured the worst of it. After a week of coughing and fever and one failed MD visit-a "viral" picture, we found ourselves in the ER with a visible RML pneumonia on the chest X-ray. Yay for a diagnoses and antibiotics and the hope of healing....until.... more fevers.....3 days of more fevers. Lethargy. Poor appetite. Constant coughing.
I'm done.
What does any of this have to do with perspective? As I am frustrated and annoyed and bothered by these illnesses we have been enduring and no end in sight to K's battle, one day she sees her ER ID band and asks if she can put it on. "I need to have on my healing band, Mommy."
Healing band?
Well, that's a very different way to look at that ID band.
No I didn't correct her. Instead I corrected myself and my attitude.
See, she was associating her ER visit with healing. I was associating it with illness. She looked at that ID band as a point when she began recovering. I looked it as an event we suffered through and had to endure.
And that right there is life. It's the choosing to see something good and right, even if it only that you are drawing nearer to Christ through this trial. It's the choosing to believe the many promises we have in Scripture that are often considered trite sayings while we bask in the sunshine. It's the choosing to know that even in this, He is still a Good Shepherd, and he has not been scared off by the valley or the lion, or the mountainous terrain.
Maybe I'm just jaded and have too many scars to see Him in the midst of it at times. But my girl isn't, and it is a sweet refreshment to hear her classify things in ways I would not.
Thank you for the healing band, Lord.